Doug Leier: A Few Reminders As North Dakota Deer Lottery Deadline Approaches – Jamestown Sun
One of the most important aspects of drawing a North Dakota regular season lottery license is to apply before the deadline. Sounds simple enough, right? Our Licensing Officers could certainly entertain you with the many applications arriving in the last 24-48 hours. Waiting until the last minute doesn’t improve the odds of anything other than forgetting and missing the June 8 deadline. Analyzing past application data and weighing the odds of pulling a favorite tag in a unit with your bonus points won’t help if you miss the deadline.
2022 North Dakota Deer Season Details:
The 2022 North Dakota gun season opens Nov. 4 at noon and runs through Nov. 20.
● The 2022 North Dakota deer season has 64,200 licenses available to hunters, down 8,000 from last year.
● In total, the number of licenses with any antlers decreased by 150 compared to last year, those without antlers by 350, white-tailed deer with antlers by 4,150 and white-tailed deer without antlers by 3 700. Antlered mule deer licenses remained the same and antlerless mule deer licenses increased by 350.
● In addition, the number of muzzleloader licenses decreased by 168 and the number of restricted young mule deer licenses with antlers remained the same.
“Epizootic hemorrhagic disease has significantly reduced white-tailed deer numbers along the Missouri River and in parts of some western hunting units,” said Casey Anderson, wildlife chief for the Department of Game and Wildlife. the Peach. “As a result, licensing allocations in some units have been significantly reduced.”
A General Game and Habitat Permit is required when applying for a Deer Permit. If the applicant has not already purchased one for the 2022-23 season, the license will be added to their cart during checkout. The applicant has the option of being reimbursed for the General Game and Habitat Permit if their deer permit is not drawn.
Free applicants who have already applied online will automatically have their land description carried over to this year’s application. However, any changes to the land descriptions from last year’s application must be made before submitting the 2022 application.
Free entries received by the Deer Gun Lottery Application Deadline will qualify for an all-legal deer license. Per state law, free applications received after the deadline will be processed based on the remaining licenses after the lottery. Generally, only timber-free permits remain.
The total number of deer permits is determined by harvest rates, aerial surveys, depredation reports, hunter sightings, comments at advisory board meetings, and feedback from the public, landowners, and field staff of the ministry.
Additionally, hunters should also keep in mind the continued focus on chronic wasting disease:
● As stated in Chronic Wasting Disease Proclamation 2022-23, hunters harvesting a deer in Units 3A1, 3A2, 3B1, 3C, 3D1, 3E2, 3F2, 4B and 4C may not transport the whole carcass to the outside the unit, except hunters may transport the entire deer carcass between adjacent chronic wasting disease carcass restriction units.
● Also in the CWD proclamation, it is illegal for an individual to hunt big game with bait, or to place bait to attract big game for the purpose of hunting, in Deer Hunting Units 1, 2B, 3A1 , 3A2, 3A3, 3A4, 3B1, 3C, 3D1, 3D2, 3E1, 3E2, 3F1, 3F2, 4A, 4B, 4C, 4D, 4E and 4F.
“Last fall, 26 deer were harvested during hunting season that tested positive for CWD, including three in new units,” Anderson said, while noting that they were 3C units, 3D1 and 3E2. “It has consequently changed deer management strategies in these units and the surrounding area.”
Plain, free, youth, and muzzle-loading deer gun applicants can apply online until midnight June 8, 2022, on the Department of Game and Fish’s website at gf .nd.gov.